Ehrhardt Hall Bed and Breakfast Inn was previously known as the Roberts House after the family doctor James Roberts, who built the Victorian-style house in 1903. The restored house was constructed of lumber cut from trees off of Dr. Roberts’ land several blocks south of its location. After the trees were processed at Conrad Ehrhardt’s saw mill, the empty land was subdivided into town size lots and helped continue the town’s growth. Dr. Roberts sold house lots to African-Americans and the southern suburb of town is often referred to as “Robertsville.” The house is now operated as a year round bed and breakfast with 6 large guest rooms.
Broxton Bridge Plantation
The Broxton Bridge Plantation was one of the points along the Salkahatchie River where Sherman’s Union Army tried to penetrate the South Carolina defenses of the Confederate Army led by Major General Lafayette McLaws. The Salkehatchie River runs 4 miles along the plantation property. The Plantation has been in the family for nine generations and today uses two circa 1850 family homes for anchoring its hunting activities spread over 7000 acres.
The Hooten-Black House (circa 1880) was built as a 4 room cottage by merchant Drew Hooten. It is the hub of art and history in the Bamberg area where you will find changing art exhibitions, concerts and lectures. The Hooten-Black House anchors the northwestern end of Bamberg’s National Register Historic District, which lists over 75 properties.
Rivers Bridge State Historic Site
Site of one of the Confederacy’s last stand against General William T. Sherman’s sweep across the South, the earthen fortifications at Rivers Bridge stand as silent monuments to the fierce resistance that raged there on February 2-3, 1865. Today, Rivers Bridge is on the National Register of Historic Places and is the only State Historic Site in South Carolina that commemorates the Civil War.
Most memorable about Voorhees' history is the story of its founder, Elizabeth Evelyn Wright. As a black woman in her early twenties, Ms. Wright persevered and founded a school in Denmark, South Carolina in 1897.